Sunday 16 August 2009

Tetsuhiko Asai Shihan Memorial Report

We returned home to Japan in time for the memorial practice for my late teacher Shuseki Shihan Tetsuhiko Asai. To be honest I felt compelled to be in Nippon for this.
__________

This year I only concentrated on a handful of advanced Asai-ryuha kata, namely Roshu (Nami no te), Kashu (Hi no te), Seiryu, Hakkaishu and Kakuyoku. Unlike previous memorial trainings, this practice was extremely light with focus on Sensei's silky smooth movement and total junansei/softness. Asai Sensei labelled this 'way of karate' as "mature" and "high class".

Overall this years memorial practice was very relaxing, positive, and technically reflective of my late teachers constant stressing of softness, snap and natural energy.
__________



This is the way Sensei wanted his kata and techniques to be performed/applied, and this will be lost, if us, his students, don't continue to refine and promote these qualities. I will never forget Sensei, and will continue to follow his karate-do to the best of my limited ability.
__________

R.I.P. Asai Sensei
__________
© André Bertel, Japan (2009).

No comments: